Pick a player from each team to be the 'rucks' for the 'ball-up'. Throw the ball in the air and the rucks will try to tap it to their team. Then, away you go with your game.
- No diving on the ball, bumping, tackling or smothering kicks.
- Award a mark irrespective of kick distance, even if the ball is not marked properly.
- Encourage players to spread out but also to be actively involved.
- Be vocal and advise players on what to do.
- After every goal, restart with a ball-up, with a different pair of Auskickers in the ruck.
- Encourage players to pass or bounce the ball every five steps (or every five seconds).
- Make sure every kid gets plenty of touches.
- Encourage sharing the ball, passing to teammates and team play.
- Have some parents act as goal umpires to retrieve the ball.
HOW TO SET UP
Add the cones to extend the length of the Activity Squares by 10 metres to make them rectangular.
Place two goalposts at either end of each Activity Square.
The goals in the middle of the grid are shared by two Activity Square.
Divide the players in each of the Activity Square into two teams and give one team bibs. This will create games which are roughly 5 vs 5.
There are no zones and positions.
Watch the video called "How to Run a Session", which explains Mini Matches further.
Try using a round ball.
Use different methods of passing such as handballing only.
Play with uneven numbers such as 6 vs 4 to assist with ball movement.